The holiday season is upon us and while we are all preparing for family festivities, criminals are preparing for opportunities to take advantage of your holiday shopping spree! The December holiday season historically sees an increase in criminal activities, but motor vehicle theft is one of the most common criminal activities that takes place year-round.
As a homeowner there are a few things you can do to help avoid being the victim of this type of activity:
- Always remove your keys, roll up windows, and lock your car. Never leave your keys in the car while you are away, even if your car is parked in your garage.
- Do not leave valuables in your car, even if they are out of sight. If you must leave something valuable in your vehicle lock it in the trunk. If a criminal sees items of value in a vehicle then they are more likely to break into that vehicle.
- The most common items stolen from vehicles are:
- GPS Devices
- DVD Players
- Laptop Computers
- If possible, park your car in your garage, next best alternative is your driveway. Try to avoid street parking, cars parked on the street are broken into more frequently than cars parked in a driveway.
- Always activate your car alarm if you have one.
- Report any suspicious activity immediately to the Sheriff’s or Constable’s Office.
The Fort Bend County Sheriff’s Office also offers a number of great tips for improving security measures of a residence, as well as a check list of items to be considered before leaving for vacation. Click on or type the following link to view this information: https://www.fortbendcountytx.gov/government/departments/administration-of-justice/sheriff-s-office/community-services/crime-prevention-tips.
To report suspicious activity or non-emergency criminal activities you may call:
Fort Bend County Constable Precinct 4 – (281) 242-4014
Fort Bend County Sheriff’s Office – (281) 342-6116